Thursday, February 21, 2013

So NOT like the blogs

It's probably me. Every house I've been in has some tension between finishing a project in one part of the house and getting other parts of the house in order.

I have a tremendous amount of enthusiasm for the BEGINNING.

In fact, I want to start the discussion here in two places. I want to walk through the decisions we made at the beginning, when we bought the house, AND I want to chronicle what I'm doing now. I think we can do both here, but it perfectly illustrates the split. We bought the house three years ago, and have pretty much had a constant amount of work going on.

There are little things that come up (naturally) in a 90 year old house, and other things that force the issue. In truth there is work that I've done that I've already hated, ripped out, and re-done.


The truth here is that it's not like www.apartmenttherapy.com, or www.younghouselove.com, or any of the other blogs that are simplifying things too much.

It's far messier for me: I am re-doing a kitchen, re-envisioning the backyard, updating the electrical from knob and tube wiring, building a sleeping loft, painting every room. All pretty much at the same time, and while I am being the dad to a 5 and 7 year old.

The truth of the project is that there has yet to be the "TA-DAAAAA" of completion.


No comments:

Post a Comment